Skip to main content

Shock Therapy: Day 1 of the frigid treatment

I decided, for no obvious reason, to switch from showering using hot water to a cold one. Today was day one.

How did it feel?

My body screamed for the first 30 seconds; all my senses were alert; my breath was short and I thought I was going to die. I had mild stomach cramps and my body shook uncontrollably. My head felt as if it was exploding, and I had a sudden ache on my temple.



30 seconds later, everything began normalizing. My body got used to the cold and I could think straight.

The rest of the shower was a breeze, a joy even.

But the best feeling was afterwards. I felt blood rushing to my head, I felt alive as I patted myself dry. My head was unusually clear, and I felt like dancing. Even though it was a bit cold outside, my head was exploding with rays of sunshine.

And for that reason alone, I will do it again tomorrow. Let's see how this 30-day challenge goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How well-meaning parents ruined us

Growing up, it was common for our parents to encourage us and tell us how we could be anything we wanted in life. "You can do anything you set your mind to do!" They would cheer us on. "Even the president?" We'd ask unconvinced. "Yes, you could even become the richest man in the world!" All this fascinated us. We vowed to ourselves that we'd in fact become people of substance who would be recognized in the entire world for our achievements. We'd ride in super-yachts like Abramovich and the rest of the mega-rich. We would produce life changing inventions, innovating our way to stardom. We'd become the next prodigy in music and sports. All this is well and good, meant to lift our spirits. Assessing our lives however, no matter how much effort we have put in to realize our dreams and visions, they have eluded us. We have become adept at doing other things though: commenting on FB posts, retweets, identifying the hottest political issue...

What Africa may learn from Trump presidency

President-Elect Trump successfully ran under the banner of making America first, reducing foreign 'interference' and trying new ways to work with partners on the international scene to solve some intractable challenges. The first tenet, in my opinion, is something that should interest African nations, because of the collective acknowledged viewpoint of making Africa work for Africans. Looking back at the powers that scrambled for Africa more than 125 years ago to present day, we see challenges that have been brought about by the fact that Africa still remains a playground for western powers. The Democratic Republic of Congo fails to move forward due to the strong interests that keep fueling violence in order to continue the parasitic extraction of the vast resources with little benefit to the people of Congo. The CFA countries of Central and West Africa still depend on precolonial arrangements with France to manage their monetary policies, stealing the initiative fro...

Day 14: Jungle Trek

We began the hike at 9am, having split into two groups: the slow team who called themselves torutgas, and the tigers. The tigers took the harder route, while the tortugas took the easy route along the river. With Zack The hike was fun, a lot of fun. We went up hills, down valleys, crossed rivers etc. Some parts were tough. I slipped and fell a couple of times, as did everyone else. We ended up crawling on all fours in some sections, because they were so steep. Because it was a rain forest, it was damp and wet in some sections, and therefore very slippery. We had a break to catch our breaths and get some a fruit snacks. We had lunch at around 2pm. We got to our camp site at 4pm, tired and hungry. Luckily, tea and biscuits were on the ready. After the snacks, we had a dip in the water. It was cool and nice. I also learnt to skip rocks on the water. Afterwards, we changed into dry clothes, had dinner, and more tea and coffee. Then we played jungle games: This is a ...